If you have ever been to a Chinese restaurant you have likely heard of Egg Drop soup. If you have never tried it though, you are missing out on a big bowl of comfort food! But don’t fret, I’m sharing my egg drop soup recipe here!
In my free and private online community you will hear me talk about my Crush Your Cravings program. I talk about understanding why you crave certain foods and how to deal with the emotions behind them. So why do I encourage you to jump into a bowl of “comfort food”? Because I think its great to indulge those cravings when you are also healing your body.
Vitamin D To Nourish And Heal
The key ingredient in this simple soup (it literally takes 15 minutes to prepare) are eggs. Egg yolks are chalk full of essential, fat-soluble Vitamin D. Your body cannot produce Vitamin D and therefore we must obtain it through diet or by sitting in the sun (more on that in a minute…). Sources of this awesome nutrient are found in egg yolk and fatty fish such as salmon and mackerel or my awesome Egg Drop Soup!
So how does Vitamin D help us? It is an important component of mineral metabolism and regulates calcium and phosphorus in the blood. This helps increase our immunity, supports a normal functioning nervous system and mental health. It also helps with those pesky menopause symptoms ladies! And works with calcium, magnesium and Vitamin K to keep our bones strong.
Getting Vitamin D Through The Sun
We have all heard that we need the sun to help our body make Vitamin D. This happens when the ultraviolet light from the sun reacts with the cholesterol in our skin. I just said 2 very scary things…ultraviolet light and cholesterol. I will give you a moment to let that sink in.
Sunlight isn’t bad.
How we deal with exposure to it and what we are consuming has everything to do with our body’s reaction to the sun. Have a peak at a post I had previously written about 5 Unusual Ways To Enjoy The Sun where I explain why the sun is so important to our lives. I love the sun and you can too. Promise.
Egg Drop Soup Recipe
Back to my quick and easy egg drop soup recipe for a moment, until its warm enough to hang out on the beach or in your backyard you can get all sorts of Vitamin D from this awesome soup. Its quick and tasty and incorporates gut health bone broth as well. Don’t worry if you’ve never made bone broth before, I have included my recipe for that below as well.
Quick and easy is the name of the game with this egg drop soup recipe. Enjoy.
In love and health. xo
- 2 cups Bone broth (Chicken Bone Broth is softer best)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp Coconut Aminos or gluten free soy sauce
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3 eggs
- Pour the bone broth into a medium saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Add the ginger,coconut amigos and salt to the liquid and allow it to come to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and yolk.
- As the broth continues to boil, use a fork and drizzle the eggs into the pot. The eggs should cook immediately.
Bone Broth Recipe
- 2 carrots, chopped medium
- 2 celery stalks, chopped medium
- 1 onion, chopped medium
- 8 garlic gloves, smashed
- 2 lbs. of fatty beef bones, chicken or turkey bones
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. Raw apple cider vinegar
- Filtered water to fill a 6 quart slow cooker
- Take the chopped vegetables and place at the bottom of your 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add in the bones.
- Sprinkle with the sea salt and drizzle with the apple cider vinegar on top of the bones.
- Add the smashed garlic on top of the bones.
- Add the filtered water to cover everything in the slow cooker.
- Simmer at lowest setting for 12 hours.
- Strain the broth after the cooking and discard the solids.
- You are ready to drink your broth, you can keep in fridge for a week or so or in the freezer for up to 6 months.