BBQ chicken in the summer is probably one of the most potent comfort foods that most of us have enjoyed in the past. Like the women in my free and private community, you probably want to find a way to enjoy this comfort food this summer!
So here’s a BBQ chicken recipe for you!
This particular BBQ cooking technique requires the use of a can (some people will use a beer can but in my case, I emptied the beer can and refilled with apple cider.).
It a technique that allows for the chicken to moisten during the whole cooking time while draining the fat allowing for the BBQ chicken skin to become very dry and crackling. Delicious!!
I cook my BBQ chicken with my easy sweet and smokey rub and it’s finger licking good! It takes about 1.5 hours of cooking time on a 300 F BBQ for a 4-5 lb. chicken.
Healthy BBQ Chicken RecipePrint
- Cook Time: 75
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1.5–2 lb. whole pasture raised chicken
- 3 tbsp. dry rub
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- Rinse chicken inside and out. Pat dry with paper towels. Rub chicken lightly with avocado oil. Then rub inside and out with your favourite rub. This is mine recipe here. Set aside.
- Open can and empty at the half way mark. Grab a chicken leg in each hand and plunk the bird cavity over the beer can. Transfer the bird-on-a-can to your grill and place in the center of the grate, balancing the bird on its 2 legs and the can like a tripod.
- Cook the chicken over medium-high, indirect heat (i.e. no coals or burners on directly under the bird), with the grill cover on, for approximately 1 1/4 hours or until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F in the breast area and 180 degrees F in the thigh, or until the thigh juice runs clear when stabbed with a sharp knife.
- Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Serving Size: 4