When I first heard of “Crack Slaw” from the ladies in my free and private community, I was confused by the name…crack slaw must be junk food right? Well, I finally looked into it and found the recipe so I decided to give it a try. This is how I came up with my own version of crack slaw recipe.
I decided to twist the recipe a bit by bringing a note of creaminess to the texture. An easy way to this is to increase the content in fat in the form of mayonnaise…yummy!
Upgrade Your Mayonnaise
A crack slaw recipe calls for mayonnaise. For a while now, I have been avoiding all the mayonnaise found on grocery store shelves – even health food store because of two reasons: type of oil used and all artificial ingredients used to stabilize the product. Nearly all commercial mayonnaise is made from pro-inflammatory oil such as canola oil, soybean oil, sunflower oil, corn oil or vegetable oil. These oils are very high in Omega-6.
Although Omega-6 fatty acids are essential to human health, most Americans get too much Omega-6 and not enough Omega-3. This unhealthy ratio, to which commercial mayonnaise and other processed foods are main contributors, increases your risk of developing heart diseases, some cancers, type 2 diabetes and osteoporosis, as well as inflammatory and autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis.
In addition to containing pro-inflammatory Omega-6 oils and added sugars, commercial mayonnaise also contains a lot of artificial ingredients, such as preservatives, additives, and monosodium glutamate, or MSG.
Primal Kitchen Mayonnaise
After years of making my own Easy Mayonnaise, I discovered a new player in the field of mayonnaise: Primal Kitchen Mayo. This healthy mayo stops all the issues I have ever had with commercial mayonnaise.
- It is made exclusively from avocado oil.
- Avocado oil is extracted from the flesh of the avocado, so it is technically a fruit oil, not vegetable oil.
- Avocado is high in oleic acid, a monounsaturated Omega-9 fatty acid and low in Omega-6.
- Ingredients: Avocado Oil, Organic Cage-Free Eggs, Organic Egg Yolks, Organic Vinegar (From Non-GMO Beets), Sea Salt, Rosemary Extract.
- That’s it: no artificial ingredients, preservatives or colours.
- Sugar, Gluten, Dairy, Soy & Canola Oil Free
I have been using Primal Kitchen Mayonnaise for more than 3 months and absolutely love this product. It is by far the best tasting and most convenient mayonnaise I have ever used. There are 2 flavors available: regular and chipotle lime. For the Upgraded Crack Slaw recipe, I used the chipotle version to give the dish a spicy kick. You could also make my easy mayo and add chipotle spice or sriracha sauce to the mayo to get the same flavor mix.
Upgraded Crack Slaw Cooking Tutorial
You can watch me cook this healthy crack slaw recipe on my You tube Channel
Healthy Crack Slaw Recipe
Upgraded Crack Slaw recipe
A delicious and healthy version of the traditional crack slaw recipe with a note of creaminess.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 25
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp, lard or butter
- 1 lb, grass-fed ground beef
- 6 cups cabbage, chopped
- 2 tbsp. coconut amigos
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. sesame seed oil
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. Chipotle and lime Primal Kitchen mayo or Easy Mayo with chipotle spices
- Start by heating your lard or butter in a large fry pan and add the garlic cloves and onion. Cook until fragrant.
- Add in a pound of ground beef and break up with a wooden spoon.
- Once your ground beef is browned, about 5-10 minutes, remove the beef from the fry pan and reserve.
- Keep the fat in the fry pan and add in your cabbage and cook until the cabbage begins to soften.
- Add in the coconut amigos, vinegar, sesame oil, salt and pepper and toss. Let cook for about 5 minutes until the cabbage wilts.
- Add in the mayonnaise and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 3