Wowza! Scalloped potatoes in a delicious creamy sauce that will make everyone rave about this dish.
I decided to share this popular healthy scalloped potatoes recipe from my cookbook Healthy Holiday Cooking. I had to do it … just had to do it because this recipe is so amazing and it has been requested hundreds of times from the ladies in my free and private online community as an alternative for family dinners.
Try My Scalloped Potatoes Recipe!
Scalloped potatoes can be scary to make, but I have a trick – a kitchen gadget called a mandoline. A mandoline is a tool that consists of a flat frame with adjustable cutting blades used for creating thinly sliced vegetables. You simply have to pass your potatoes on top of it and the slices come out equally thin. In a matter of minutes, you have dozens of potato slices ready to make your scalloped potatoes.
Pecan Strudel Scalloped Potatoes
- Prep Time: 20
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 sweet potatoes, sliced into 1⁄4” thick slices (done quickly with a mandoline)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and grated
- 2 cups of full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. fresh sage, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp. almond flour
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. coconut sugar or 1 tbsp. monk fruit extract
- 1/3 cup pecans, finely chopped
- In a bowl, combine the coconut milk, grated onion, salt, pepper, sage, coconut flour, nutmeg and black pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Grease a 9 x 9 x 2 casserole dish using coconut oil, butter or ghee. Place one layer of sweet potatoes in the dish, then pour 1/4 cup of the milk mixture over the top. Continue layering in this way until you have three layers, or run out of potatoes. Your final layer should be the milk mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix the almond flour, butter, coconut sugar and pecans.
- Sprinkle the pecan mixture on top of the dish.
- Place the dish in the oven at 350 F and bake for 1 hour.
- Turn oven to broil, and broil the tops of the potatoes for about 5 minutes to turn brown.