Do you suffer from constipation and are looking for tips on how to cure constipation?
Most of the difficulties you experience with pooping can be resolved or prevented by making simple changes to your diet and/or lifestyle.
If you often experience discomfort in your gut, and aren’t achieving poop perfection, take a look at the following factors and consider making a few changes.
9 Practical and Effective Tips on How to Heal Constipation
- Hydration: Make sure you stay well hydrated with fresh, pure water. Dehydration is the primary cause of constipation.
- Gluten: Remove all sources of gluten from your diet. The most common sources are wheat, barley, rye, spelt and other grains.
- Whole food: Eat a diet that includes whole foods, rich in fresh, organic vegetables and fruits that provide good nutrients and fiber. Most of your fiber should come from vegetables, not from grains.
- Sugar: Avoid artificial sweeteners, excess sugar and especially fructose and chemical additives. MSG, excessive amounts of caffeine, and processed foods are all detrimental to your gastrointestinal and immune function.
- Gut bacteria: Boost your intestinal flora by adding naturally fermented foods into your diet, such as sauerkraut, pickles, and Kombucha. Also consider adding a probiotic supplement if you suspect you’re not getting enough beneficial bacteria from your diet alone.
- Fiber: Are you getting enough fiber daily aka vegetables? Try increasing your fiber intake. One way is to increase your vegetable intake or other options include adding psyllium and freshly ground organic flax seed.
- Movement: Get some form of movement daily.
- Drugs: Avoid pharmaceutical drugs such as painkillers like codeine or hydrocodone which will slow your bowel function. Anti-depressants and antibiotics can cause a variety of GI disruptions.
- Squatting: Consider squatting instead of sitting to move your bowels as squatting straightens your rectum, relaxes your puborectalis muscle and encourages the complete emptying of your bowel without straining. Squatting has been scientifically shown to relieve constipation and hemorrhoids. One of the best tools is the Squatty Potty….think about this: the toilet is only a recent invention. How did we poop before?
Connecting Mind and Body
A problem in the poop department means a health issue now or later. Our body has a way of communicating with us and that is through symptoms and disease or as I like to say Body Messages.
When we express our life through the eye of fear, safety issues and overall lack of grounding, most often we will present with bowel movement issues mainly around constipation. We just can’t let go and feel the need to hold on to everything for dear life including our poop.
The body is simply figuratively expressing what the mind is seeing and feeling. Our body is sending us signals that we need to let go. By not addressing this, the compounding effects of non-healthy bowel movements will start creating disease in our body.
The need for each one of us to know what a healthy bowel movement looks like is crucial in taking care of our body. You would think most people would know but unfortunately based on my years of practice, have no clue!
If all the above tips on how to cure constipation fail to help you achieve the standard poop, then it’s time for you to seek professional help.
If you want to regain total health, you should know that eating real foods is one of the best ways to help your body regain balance. I have a real food guide that can help you.