Many of my followers and members of my private and free online community really enjoy when I take an old school recipe that we are accustomed to such as spaghetti sauce and clean it up so they can enjoy it every day without feeling guilty. Well, this spaghetti sauce recipe is no different.
This recipe has been with me for more than 15 years. It’s actually not my recipe but my best friend Daniel’s spaghetti sauce recipe that he generously allowed me to use for this blog post. Merci.Dan!
History of this Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
I still have the original piece of paper with the recipe that Dan wrote for me when we lived together in Vancouver, Canada. As you can see, that piece of paper has been around the block a few times! That’s a sign of pretty dam good recipe!
Yup it’s in French…sorry non-French speaking folks, both Dan and I are from the same small town of Thetford Mines, Quebec which makes us both native French speakers. Dan was a cook at the time and made the most amazing food on a very, very small budget. Seems like so long ago…
I have tweaked Dan’s original recipe to make it a low carb spaghetti sauce recipe. I swapped a few ingredients (aka canola oil which we thought at the time to be the best 🙁 ). I now serve this sauce on zucchini noodles.
I usually sautée some mushrooms in butter and top each plate off with this deliciousness. You can also add mushrooms to this low carb spaghetti recipe if you wish. Looking forward to your comments…Enjoy!
The Ultimate Spaghetti Sauce RecipePrint
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 180
- Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 stocks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 lbs of grass-fed ground beef
- 1 7 oz. can organic tomato paste
- 1 28 oz. can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of Bone Broth 2 tbsp. coconut sugar or 6 drops of stevia or 2 tbsp erythritol
- 1 tbsp. chili peppers
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. organo
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 6 Bay leaves
- Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and garlic and sautée for 4-5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the ground beef and sautée until meat is brown.
- Add the celery, carrots and sautée again for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and cook on a low setting for 2-3 hours covered. Ensure the sauce is simmering only for the cooking period. You can also place it in the oven at 300 F for same amount of time.
- You can freeze the left over sauce for up to 6 months.