Looking for a satisfying meal packed with protein on a cold day? I help many women in my free and private community to fill their plates with quick and healthy recipes. Try the ultimate healthy chili recipe for a bowl of comfort food packed with nourishing vitamin B12 and warming spices.
Ultimate Chili for Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 plays a key role in energy metabolism and a host of other biological processes. Humans cannot produce this vitamin therefore, you must consume them in your diet by including animal proteins.
Beef provides a hefty dose of vitamin B12, essential for the formation of red blood cells and their ability to carry oxygen. Thus, this vitamin can directly affect your energy levels. And honestly, who couldn’t use more energy on a daily basis?
Vitamin B12, beef is packed with other nutrients such as zinc, iron and phosphorus. Not to mention all that excellent quality, satiating protein.
Grass-fed vs. Conventional Beef
The name of the game when choosing your beef is quality. At the top of the pile is grass-fed, organic meat. It has many health promoting merits that its conventionally farmed counterparts. Grass fed, or pasture raised, meat is higher in omega 3’s, beta-carotene and vitamin E.
Another excellent quality of pastured beef is that it contains lower cholesterol. Although cholesterol isn’t an enemy, it actually is necessary for your body to produce all of your hormones. When you consume too much dietary cholesterol it can lead to health issues. For more information on pasture raised meats (including beef, chicken and pork) check out my blog post on improving the quality of your protein.
The Ultimate Healthy Chili Recipe: Have Yourself a Hearty Bowl!
The ultimate healthy chili recipe is the ultimate in simplicity. Get your Crockpot fired up and get outside and enjoy a day with your family. When you come back, a feast will await! Just print out this handy recipe below.
- 2 lbs grass-fed ground beef or 1 lbs grass fed pork / 1 lbs grass fed beef
- 2 tbsp lard or coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup of sliced mushroom
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 – 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups broth
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1. Using a large skillet melt the lard or coconut oil and sauté onions and garlic over med-high heat for about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add beef and garlic and cook until brown. About 7 minutes.
- 3. Add the mixture to the bottom of a crockpot. Add all other ingredients and mix well.
- 4. Let simmer on low in the crockpot for 6 hours.
- 5. Enjoy! Can be frozen for up to 6 months.