Good Girl Syndrome
Do you remember being told to be a “good girl” when you were young? And praised for being a “good girl” and punished for not being a good girl?
Although socialized very early on as women, to be a good girl this socialization is done with good intentions but it leaves grown-up women struggling and in pain.
We are told to be:
- sexy, but not sexual;
- skinny, but not to be healthy;
- smart, but not too smart.
The contradictory messages are seemingly endless.
We have this duality within us… this need to be a “good girl” while needing to be autonomous, smart and independent as adult women. It’s a contradiction we carry within us that we think is abnormal…. a sign that something is wrong with us.
Yet nothing is wrong… we were just socialized to something we cannot be. Being a “good girl” is an impossible standard to achieve leaving us confused, doubting ourselves, and in cycles of shame.
What you’ll learn listening to this episode:
- What is the good girl syndrome
- Signs that the good girl syndrome is present in your life
- How it impacts how you relate to food & your body
- What happens when you say hell no to being a good girl