Listen to the episode
In this episode I discuss
Binging and overeating behaviors are very common among restrictive eaters and women who have been on diet frequently in their life and chose to restraint calories or certain food categories. Dr. Carolyn Ross has a 5-layer approach to healing these behaviors permanently that will fascinate you.
5-Layer Approach to Stop Binging and Overeating
Dr. Carolyn Ross defined 5 steps to stop binging and overeating. Here they are:
1. External Behaviors – This is the superficial level… what everybody sees you are doing. They may say, “You are eating a lot, you’re drinking too much, you are binging.” But this is just the tip of the iceberg. It’s what gets the most attention from the outside.
2. Emotions – These are the driving force to those behaviors. So for example, when you get angry – you overeat. When you get too happy – you binge… If you don’t address how you handle your emotions, you can never really fully recover.
3. Body Sensations – Most people caught up in this binging and overeating behaviors don’t want to know more about their bodies. They don’t want to feel their bodies, neither they wanna be in their bodies. If you don’t identify body sensations, you cannot start that conversation with your body where your body shares its wisdom. It’s like when you overeat, your body gives you feedback.
4. Core Beliefs – Throughout your life, you make assumptions about yourself based on what other people are telling you and what you are feeling. It’s amazing how a number of beliefs stick with us throughout our lives until our old age. But most of these start at a very young age, and we just accept them even when we grow old.
5. Self-Satisfaction – When you are really in recovery and has done this deep work, you begin to realize that you are here for one reason – that is to love yourself. It is to satisfy your soul and to meet your authentic self.
It is important to identify these layers and be able to deal with them one by one in the process. As Dr. Carolyn Ross puts it – the deeper you go, the more long-lasting your recovery will be. I hope this helps you in your journey to stop binging and overeating and be able to transform your relationship to food to feel good for good.
Last week’s episode, I talked about 21 reasons why diets don’t work which will surely blow your mind. I suggest you check it out! You can listen to the episode here.
Next episode, I will take you behind the scene of the Going Beyond The Food Project. We’re going to record the podcast episode live during one of the wrap-up sessions of the online summit. Join me in this exciting discussion!
Be sure to check back every Sunday and Thursday for a new episode, and head over to iTunes to subscribe so we can freshly deliver new episode directly to your device every time we release a new episode.
If you enjoy the show and would love to encourage and support my work leave me an honest review using this link, click here . For a podcaster like me, reviews are like fuel… I would appreciate hearing from you more than I could possibly say! Here’s a quick tutorial on “How to leave a review “!
Links mentioned in this episode:
Dr. Gabor Mate Hungry Ghost Book: https://www.amazon.ca/Realm-Hungry-Ghosts-Encounters-Addiction/dp/0676977413
Going Beyond The Food Project: https://goingbeyondthefoodproject.com/
Attend the live recording of the first Wrap-up Session: http://bit.ly/2ybcaA5
Support me by leaving a review about this episode: http://bit.ly/2gilTsw
How you can reach Stephanie:
Got a question for Stephanie you’d like her to answer, or just want to join our community of women?
Our free and private community:
Ditch the Diet Mindset. Transform your relationship to food.
So you can Feel Good For Good.
***For your information – some links above may be my affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click on it and make a purchase. Doing so will NOT entail any additional cost to you, but will help me tremendously. Your support is SO greatly appreciated, so thank you in advance if you choose to do so***