Sometimes you just want something light and refreshing but not too sweet. My lemon bars check all those boxes! Just because you’re having a treat doesn’t mean you need to compromise on your health. Try my healthy and easy lemon bar recipe, and whip up a batch of this treat for a healthy, decadent indulgence.
Looking to be inspired in the kitchen? Head over to my free and private online community for amazing tips and recipes to keep moving you in the right direction so you can meet those goals.
Are You Getting Enough Lemon In Your Life?
I ask you this question seriously. Lemons are often overlooked as tart little fruits that make a nice garnish to a drink or fish dish. But don’t be too quick to pass them over next time you’re at the grocery store. These bad boys are heavy hitters in the nutrient department and are really budget friendly. This is why my healthy and easy lemon bar recipe is so good!
Adding lemons to your life can bring HUGE health advantages like helping to balance your pH levels, an essential way to avoid disease or correct an imbalance. Squeezing half a lemon into hot water in the morning provides a great start to your day. This drink can improve your digestion and even aid in weight loss due to the soluble fiber lemons contains called pectin.
We all know that citrus fruits have vitamin C, an essential antioxidant. But one lemon contains about 31% of the recommended daily intake. Yes please!
In addition, lemons contain limonin. This compound has been shown to prevent and fight cancers of the lung, breast, stomach and colon. Research is now showing that limonin may be just as important as vitamin C in the fight against cancer. Sounds like a good reason to include more lemons to your day, if you ask me.
Healthy and Easy Lemon Bar Recipe
When life gives you lemons…put them in these Lemon Bars! Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp grass fed butter or coconut oil plus more to grease your dish
- 2 tbsp raw honey or 1/4 tsp stevia extract
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 large eggs plus 1 yolk, lightly beaten
- ½ cup honey or 1 tsp stevia extract liquid
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor combine all of the crust ingredients. Pulse a few time to integrate all ingredients then process for 15 seconds to combine or until a dough forms.
- Lightly grease a 9×9 square baking dish with butter or coconut oil.
- Drop the dough mixture in the dish and using your fingers press the dough into the bottom of the dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool while you prepare the filling.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together all of the filling ingredients. Allow the coconut flour to absorb for 10 minutes, then whisk again until the filling is smooth and without lumps.
- Pour the filling on top of the baked crust, and bake again for 15-20 minutes or until the centre is set but slightly jiggly.
- Cool for 20 minutes then refrigerate until chilled.