Salmon is popular even among those who are not particularly fond of fish. It’s versatile and easy to prepare. This flavorful fish is also known for its nutritional benefits. If you want a delicious dinner, my recipe for healthy salmon patties will come in handy. This dish is perfect with my healthy and creamy coleslaw!
What’s Good About Salmon
Salmon has powerful health-giving nutrients. It is widely known to have unusually-high omega-3 fatty acid content. Omega-3 fatty acids reduce the risk of heart attack, high blood pressure, and stroke. They also have a mood boosting effect. They reduce the risk of depression and cognitive decline.
If you have achy joints, omega-3 fatty acids can help. Recent studies show that they help prevent inflammation of the joints.
Your eyes may benefit from these fatty acids because studies have shown that they decrease the risk of macular degeneration (which may lead to blindness) and chronic dry eye.
If you’re trying to avoid cancer, omega-3 fatty acids can help. Researchers have found that these fatty acids lower the risk of various types of cancer, including breast and colorectal cancer.
Besides omega-3 fatty acids, salmon also contains bio-active protein molecules. These molecules support joint cartilage, improve insulin effectiveness, and control inflammation in the digestive tract.
Selenium is another nutrient that is abundant in salmon. Like omega-3 fatty acids, it also helps prevent joint inflammation and certain types of cancer. This nutrient is also an antioxidant that protects the heart and the blood vessels.
Choosing Your Salmon: Farmed or Wild?
Farmed salmon accounts for 80% of salmon consumption worldwide. However, salmon farming has raised some concerns. One of the issues is that farming creates an unnatural habitat for salmon. This can affect the quality of the fish. Also, some farmed salmon have been found to have significant amounts of contaminants.
The best option to use for my recipe for healthy salmon patties would be wild-caught Alaskan salmon. You can buy this fish in fresh, frozen, or canned form. This type of salmon has the lowest contamination and sustainability risks. It is best to buy salmon from a source with a good reputation.
Make sure that the fish smells “right.” Since you can’t detect any foul odor through plastic, you can buy the fish on display rather than the prepackaged pieces. That way, you can smell the fish and refuse to buy it if it doesn’t smell right.
Recipe for Healthy Salmon Patties
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 Tsp organic djion mustard
- 3 egg yolk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 x 7 oz wild canned salmon
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- Preheat the oven at 350F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium size bowl combine onion, garlic, dills, dijon mustard, sea salt, pepper and egg yolks. Mash all the salmon and mix all ingredients well.
- Add coconut flour and again mix well.
- Using your hands, form the salmon mixture into 3” diameter patties, and place each patties on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake salmon cakes for 20 minutes.
- Change setting of the oven to broil and broil the patties for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!