OMGoodness! Seriously, who doesn’t love a great chocolate chip cookie? It’s the cornerstone of our youth. But sweets are the first things to go when living a low carb lifestyle, right? Usually yes, but I’m about to introduce you to my flourless chocolate chip cookie recipe that you can enjoy while still moving you towards your health goals.
What The Heck Is A Monk Fruit?
Wondering what sweetener I use in my chocolate chip cookie recipe? Say hello to my little friend! (Just a bit of Scarface humour there) But seriously, if you have never seen one or used one, you need to become acquainted with this wee sub-tropical melon. These melons are part of the gourd family and have been cultivated in Southeast Asia for hundreds of years by Bhuddist Monks, hence the name.
Strangely, these fruits begin to taste rotten shortly after being picked! Chances are you will never enjoy a fresh monk fruit unless you are visiting an Asian country and pick one straight from the vine. But you can use the sweetener made from the fruit to sweeten your dishes in a healthy way.
Why Monk Fruit Extract Makes A Great Sweetener
I’m going to share with you something that sounds too good to be true. Maybe you should sit down…
Monk Fruit extract is 150 to 200 times sweeter than sugar. A little goes a long way!
I bet you’re wondering why you have never heard of this little all-star before. Simple, its often found on labels under its other name lo han guo. But this sweetener has been gaining popularity in eastern society since the FDA stated it was generally safe for consumption in 2010.
How To Get More Monk Fruit In Your Life?
You can head to your local health food store or even the natural and organic section of your regular grocery store and look for some Monk Fruit sweetener. There is a variety of them out there. Look for a non-GMO variety, like anything else, to ensure you are getting a good quality product.
Next, whip up a batch of these flourless chocolate chip cookies without any guilt! Doesn’t that sound sweet?
Mmmmm. I gotta run, my oven timer is going off.
Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup creamy almond butter
- 3/4 tsp liquid stevia or 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup (not refined sugar free if used)
- 1 pastured egg ( add 1 egg if using stevia to compensate for liquid)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup Lyli’s dark chocolate chips or 100% unsweetened dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the egg(s), almond butter, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt and sweetener of choice.
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips. Let the dough rest for about 15 minutes.
- Using a small cookie dough scoop, form tablespoon-sized balls of dough and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Let them cool for at least 30 minutes on the baking sheet.
- *** You can also substitute the chocolate chips for 1/4 cups of unsweetened cacao powder.
- *** You can also add 1/4 cups of unsweetened cacao powder to the chocolate chip for a double chocolate cookie.